10 thoughts to help you start eating healthier
They say the Mediterranean diet is the best kind of diet you can follow. There are no restrictions, eat everything in moderation.
Growing up in Italy, I always followed this diet, but as many other kids, I was also happy to have a sandwich at McDonalds once in a while.
Three years ago, I realized that I didn’t want to eat any fast food products anymore, I didn’t feel good afterwards and it didn’t do anything for my body either, I also gave up fried foods because everytime I ate something fried it upset my stomach. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not telling you to stop eating fries and burgers altogether, this is my personal choice.
With this post I want to share 10 thoughts that got me through the first phase of shifting from my old eating habits to my new ones.
1. Start eating better for yourself and not for anyone else. It makes you feel good and happy.
2. Read and learn as much as you can about eating healthier meals and staying energized throughout the day. A good website to begin with is Mind, Body, Green.
3. Know the difference between good fats and bad fats. (nuts, seeds, avocados, vegetable oils, olive oil, have all good kinds of fats)
4. Eat smaller portions throughout the day instead of three big meals.
5. Don’t be afraid to say “no” to dessert or to that extra cocktail when you go out thinking that maybe your friends might think you’re “no fun” anymore.
6. You don’t have to eat less in order to lose weight and be healthy, you just have to switch to healthier food choices. Try making yourself a smoothie, I make myself a good lactose-free smoothie, as a snack or even oatmeal cookies are a good choice, if you’re craving something sweet, but not too indulging.
7. Don’t assume that every product that says “low in calories” “vegan” “organic” or “gluten free” is good for you. Many prepackaged foods contain hidden calories and fats that make the product tastier.
8. Reject the idea of guilt whenever you feel like you’ve eaten too much, it’s normal and it is simply how it’s supposed to be.
9. Eating more fruits and vegetables is not the only way to increase your good health, exercising or simply moving throughout the day boosts your metabolism and helps decrease the levels of stress caused by our daily tasks.
10. Begin this new healthy journey with a new mindset. This is a new lifestyle, not a diet set for a few weeks or months. When you begin to feel better you won’t want to look back.